If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right.Switch to Accessible Site

Dr. Christopher J. Gauland
Dr. Jonathan C. O’Quinn
Dr. Kenneth Rosenthal

(252) 830-1000

Greenville, North Carolina

Q: What is that lump right in the middle of the top of my foot?

A: As we grow older, it is not uncommon for us to develop arthritis of the joints of the mid-portion of the foot. When joints become arthritic, the adjacent joint surfaces break down, leading to the characteristic spurring seen on x-rays of the joints. The top of the foot is a common location to develop arthritic spurs, which present as a lump at the top of the foot. Judicious shoe selection and padding can help avoid painful pressure in these areas, but surgery is sometimes necessary to address the arthritic joints and remove the spurs.

Connect with us