If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right.Switch to Accessible Site

Dr. Christopher J. Gauland
Dr. Jonathan C. O’Quinn
Dr. Kenneth Rosenthal

(252) 830-1000

Greenville, North Carolina

Q: If I have arthritis of the feet and ankles, what can I do?

A: It depends upon the person, their health, their activity level, and the joint or joints involved. For milder arthritis pains, modifications in shoe styles or custom foot orthotics can help relieve aching feet. Oral or topical anti-inflammatory medications can be prescribed, along with physical therapy in some cases. Cortisone injections can be given periodically to help relieve some of the joint pain and inflammation, and YES, it is possible to give these injections NICELY. For more severe arthritis, prescription braces may be prescribed, or surgical procedures may be appropriate, although surgery should always be considered a last resort, if simpler treatments are ineffective.

Connect with us